Embrace the loved-up mood of the moment with our heart-shaped cookie cake.
Discover decadent layers of vanilla-scented cookie and tangy berry mascarpone, garnished with the prettiest of pink decorations for a treat that’s as delicious as it is beautiful. We’ve opted for tiny cubes of Turkish delight and the freshest of berries, but feel free to let your imagination run wild. You’ll find everything you need to make this picture-perfect show-stopper in-store, along with plenty more Valentine’s Day inspiration.
Prep time 45 mins (plus cooling, 2 hours resting and 1 hour chilling time)
Cooking time 15 mins
Fresh raspberries and sliced strawberries, to serve
Authentic Rose-Flavoured Turkish Delight, diced, to serve
Raspberry White Chocolate, broken into shards, to serve (see note)
Pink edible flowers, to serve
Raspberry mascarpone filling
250g cream cheese, diced, at room temperature
75g icing sugar, sieved
1 tsp lemon juice 500g mascarpone
Vanilla shortbread 375g
(2½ cups) plain flour
100g sieved icing sugar
220g chilled butter, diced
2 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1. To make the vanilla shortbread, process flour, icing sugar and a pinch of salt in a food processor to combine. Add butter and process to fine crumbs. Add yolks, vanilla bean paste and 1 tbsp iced water and process until dough comes together. Turn onto a lightly floured work surface and form into 2 even discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest (1 hour).
2. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper. Roll out each piece of dough on a lightly floured surface to 4mm thick. Cut a 20cm heart from each, using a paper template as a guide. Place on 2 prepared trays. Chill until firm (20-30 minutes). Using a small sharp knife, cut a smaller heart from the centre of each, leaving a 4cm border. Chill until required. Re-roll dough offcuts to 4mm thick and cut another 20cm heart from the dough. Place on remaining prepared tray and chill until firm (20-30 minutes). Using a small sharp knife, cut out a smaller heart from the centre, leaving a 4cm border.
3. Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan-forced). Bake shortbread hearts, swapping and turning trays occasionally, until crisp and light golden (12-15 minutes). Cool completely on trays and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
4. To make the raspberry mascarpone filling, beat cream cheese, icing sugar, raspberries and lemon juice in an electric mixer until smooth and combined (3-4 minutes). Scrape down the side of the bowl, add mascarpone and beat until firm peaks form – don’t overbeat or the mixture will split. Cover and refrigerate until chilled (1 hour).
5. Transfer raspberry mascarpone filling to a piping bag fitted with a 12mm plain piping tube, twisting the bag to ensure there are no air bubbles. Pipe a few small dollops of filling on the underside of one of the shortbread hearts and place on a serving plate – these help hold it in place and make it easier to decorate. Pipe small peaks of raspberry mascarpone filling evenly over the top. Continue layering with remaining shortbread hearts and raspberry mascarpone filling. Decorate with raspberries, sliced strawberries, Turkish Delight,raspberry white chocolate shards and edible flowers.
Note: raspberry white chocolate is available at select stores from the Chocolate Counter.
For the final touch, serve with a glass of G.H Mumm Grand Cordon Rose Brut.